Friday, December 4, 2009

Does anyone know the meaning of Thanksgiving?

Sorry I am a bit behind in my writing. I realized that I'd only had a few short weeks left and started getting busier and busier with things to do around town.
So I will back up a few weeks and let you in on what I have been doing:
Thursday, November 26th (Most importantly: Jill's Birthday, of course- and THANKSGIVING). I believe the number one question I got from people back home was "What are you going to do for Thanksgiving, (unfortunately followed by:) Do they celebrate Thanksgiving there?" (Those people included.... Oh never mind, I won't embarrass you like that!) Anyways, come on, America- where have you been. WHY DO WE CELEBRATE THANKSGIVING!?

After I had my laugh at everyone who asked me that... It was a good day though, I was able to explain to my class about Thanksgiving (which I'm sure they know more about it now than some of you at home... sad!) I also was invited to a "Thanksgiving Dinner" at Claire's house prepared by her Mum (who was so cute, she had been planning the dinner since Tuesday). Claire's brother's girlfriend is from Michigan and just recently moved out here to finish her Masters' degree. Her Mum thought it would be nice to prepare a Thanksgiving dinner for her since she was away from home...and it is such an important holiday for us! Well, Claire asked Andrea & I over for dinner as well. Boy, was it delicious- a scrumptious meal which included sweet potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, turkey.. of course, and a delicious Pumpkin Pie (homemade). She went all out for us Americans, it was so great! Made me feel right at home on Thanksgiving!

As my days and weeks have been going by faster and faster; Carol's birthday dinner was celebrated the next night (after Thanksgiving). Andrea and I were going to actually go into Melbourne that night, but luckily decided to stay in and catch a train early Saturday morning (best idea we ever had).... Only because I didn't have to miss out on Carol's delicious birthday dinner she prepared herself and we also saved some money on a room that night!

We took a train up into Melbourne early Saturday morning and headed to the Vic Market. This place was amazingly huge stuffed with so many souvenirs, shirts, aboriginal artworks, and so much more. I did manage to purchase a few things for all of my mates at home, but still have several of you to buy for. I didn't think it was going to be this hard finding things for people, but unfortunately I'm running out of time and still have some things to get for many of you.

We spent a few hours at the Vic Market, then headed more into the city to see the famous Myer department store Christmas window display. The theme this year was Olivia Helps with Christmas, for those of you that do not read Children's literature... Olivia is a little piggy! The Myer windows were amazing, as you walked down the path each window told a different part of the story and had mechanical characters acting out the story as it was read to you over the loudspeaker! So neat- Sophie would have loved this! (Maybe I can bring her back with me one day!?)

We then went into Federation Square, where I loved looking at all of the building structures and out into the city. We were a bit disappointed because we were trying to be good tourist and take pictures of us at each spot, however there was no sign what-so-ever that said "Federation Square." We ended with a tour of the beautiful St. Paul's Cathedral. It was such a gorgeous church and they had the most amazing picture of Jesus hanging on the wall.

After we returned home from Melbourne (back to Geelong, that is), I rushed back to the Wilkens' to get ready for the Ballet concert that the two little ones were in. Carol loved the fact that she got to go to a "concert" on her actual birthday! It was actually pretty interesting, I've never really been into ballet but it was pretty cool to watch some of these girls show off some of their talents! Of course, the little ones were the cutest though! That night, I met up with 5 of the teachers from Bellaire. We had a blast at the Edge bar, owned by a Geelong footy player- and our "favourite" place to go when we go out in Geelong! We ended the night dancing our hearts away at Lamby's! It was such a great time getting to hang out with Blanche, Claire, Abby, Laura, and Kandice!

Needless to say, Sunday was a pretty relaxed day as I had been running out non-stop the past few days, not to mention working from 8-33opm all of those days as well (well, besides Saturday). But, it was all worth it (the sight-seeing, the ballet concert, the teacher's night out, and even the hangover!) :)

Much love, Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.